Friday, April 20, 2012

The Debut by Anita Brookner Ch. 6-10

I am not sure what I want to say about these chapters except that they make me a little sad. Ruth and her mom seem destined to depression. I like that the father has had the epiphany that he no longer loves his wife. I am not sure that he ever loved her as much as he loved the idea of loving her. I feel as though he is about to make a change in his life, and I am interested to see if he can make it without his wife. Ruth needs a lesson in dating. With the neglect she receives from her mother, it is no wonder that she has no clue what to do with herself. I loved the chapter that talked about how boring waiting can be. I think that everyone can relate to that situation. I know that I have had an event that I could not wait for, and the hours that proceeded it were tortuous. But, that seems to be the story of Ruth’s life. She is trying to find things to do that fill up the time between her present state and when she thinks life is supposed to start. Much like her disappointing date, I think she will look back on her life and wonder what she has done with her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment